Ilaniyya (Segera)

  • Issue: February 2001
  • Artist: Zina Roitman
  • Designer: Yizhak Granot
  • Stamp Size: 25.7 mm x 20 mm
  • Plate no.: 430 - no phosphor band
  • Sheet of 50 stamps, Tabs: 5
  • Printers: House of Questa, England
  • Method of printing: Rotogravure

Ilaniyya is the official name of the village but it is still remembered by many as Segera. The lands of Segera were purchased in 1891 by "Hovevey Zion" and later by the JCA (the Jewish Colonization Association founded by Baron Hirsch). The establishment of the Segera Farm began in 1900. Later, an agricultural village was established alongside the farm. This stamp is issued during Ilanlyya's centennial year.

The site represents the beginning of the Jewish settlement in the Lower Galilee, the Second Aliya, "kibbush ha-avodah" (the conquest of labor), the Jewish defense and the battles of the 1948 war.

Segera became known during the time of the Second Aliya, when young workers arrived, like David Ben-Gurion, Israel Shochat, Israel Giladi, Alexander Zaid, Berl Katzenelson and others who became leaders of the Jewish Settlement. The workers found fruitful soil in Segera for the realization of ideals of the organizations of "Bar Giora", "Ha'Shomer", "Ha'Choresh", "Ha'Ro'eh"; such as collective work (the beginning of the kibbutz idea), and inclusion of women in agricultural work.

Due to the strategic position of Ilaniyya, on the main transport route, it was the target for the Arab forces, during the War of Independence, and its people sustained heavy attacks until the liberation of the Lower Galilee. The site was selected to be preserved, together with 50 "Heritage and Preservation (Moreshet ve'Tkuma)" sites, as part of a joint project of The Keren Kayemet Le-Israel, The Council for the Preservation of Sites and The Regional Council of the Lower Galilee.

The Council for Preservation of Buildings and Historic Sites - a public organization acting within the Nature Protection Society- was established in 1984 by the Knesset Education Committee. The Council acts to prevent destruction of sites and buildings; initiates and encourages preservation and development plans; imparts educational values stressing the importance of preserving constructed heritage in Eretz Israel as part of its cultural history and increases public awareness of the need for preservation.

The Council operates a number of sites: the Mlqwe Yisrael Visitors' Center, the Atlit Illegal Immigrant Camp, the Ayalon Institute at Givat Ha'kibbutzim in Rehovot, the David Ben Gurion Training Center in Segera, the Woman Fighter site in Nitzanim and the workers camp in Sedom. It is partner to the renovation of hundreds of additional sites, approximately one hundred of them serving as visitors' centers and historical museums open to the general public.

top top

Buildings & Historic Sites (IV) - Ilaniyya (Segera)