Sun. Feb 5th, 2023

State Government websites value user privacy. To learn more, view our full privacy policy.
Secure websites use HTTPS certificates. A lock icon or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the official website.
Main menu
North Carolina Food and Nutrition Services (formerly Food Stamps) are available for all households with limited income and resources. A household may be one person living alone, a family, or several unrelated individuals cohabiting who buy and prepare meals together.
Electronic Benefit Transfer cards (EBT cards) is an electronic system that replaced paper food stamp coupons with a card. EBT cards can be used at any major grocery stores that authorized as is USDA retailer.
Your local county Department of Social Services Office (DSS) eligibility workers will use application form DSS-1700 to help determine which income limit applies to your household. Eligibility requirements include:
Each applicant/recipient must have or have applied for a Social Security number.
Some individuals must participate in Food and Nutrition Services as one household even though they purchase and prepare their meals separately.
Individuals who must participate as one household include:
Each Additional Member
The person filing for Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) does not have to be the Head of Household. An authorized representative can apply on behalf of a Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) unit (A Food and Nutrition Services unit (FNS unit) is a person or a group of people applying for or receiving Food and Nutrition Services benefits.). In this situation the identity of both the authorized representative and the head of the FNS unit must be verified.
Examples of acceptable verification include but are not limited to:
There are three ways to apply for Food and Nutrition Services (Food Stamps). Get prepared before completing the application.  Apply as soon as possible. The sooner we receive your application the quicker you will know if you are eligible. 
A caseworker must interview you or someone you choose to represent you. The individual interviewed may be the head of household, spouse, any other adult member of the household, or an authorized representative as outlined in FNS 175 Authorized Representative.
The interview may be conducted in-person, by telephone, or video conference. This is to see if you can get Food and Nutrition Services. If you apply in person or drop off your application at the local DSS Office, you will be asked to stay for an interview. If you are unable to stay for your interview, please tell the receptionist or a caseworker so that we can schedule an interview for you.
Call 866-719-0141
Call 866-719-0141 or Relay Services: 711
© 2022 The State of North Carolina. All rights reserved.
Contact information for State agencies, legislators, hotlines, reporting fraud, and more.
State of North Carolina Directory


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *